Sunday, June 17, 2007

Explanation

Thanks for the comments on the baby sweater!!

Rachel, I did add the additional stitches for the sleeves... Here's how I did it:

When I got to the sleeve instruction, I placed the required number of stitches on a holder for the right front, then started working on the first sleeve stitches. I worked the sleeve sts (28) and at the end of this row I used the cable cast on to cast on 8 stitches. I turned the work and purled the 36 stitches, and again used the cable cast on for another 8 stitches. The next row I knit one stitch, worked the gull stitch pattern as specified on the 42 sts, then ended with a knit 1. I did this on every right side row--knitting the first and last stitch--until the sleeve was the right length, then I did the garter stitch cuff.

When the sleeve was done, I continued on the body sts to the next sleeve and did the same as for the first. When I was done with both sleeves, I purled across the row, picking up 14 stitches under each arm--knowing that the 8th stitch of each section would be lost at seaming. This left me with the required number of sts to complete the sweater.

Once everything was complete, I used the 8th stitch on each side of the sleeve to seam via mattress stitch. It's as perfect as I can get!! :-)

I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't, email me at the address listed above and I'll try to do a better job of explaining!

4 comments:

Kelley said...

That pattern is so much fun. And the finished sweater always ends up so cute!

Liz said...

I saw your comment at the harlot's about your virtually reader-free blog, and thought I'd look you up. You have *beautiful* knitting! I'll be sure to come back more often.

Holly said...

It is such a lovely pattern, I had forgotten since it has been a number of years since I have had any young enough to wear it.
Thanks for bringing it up. You have such a nice collection of knitted things for small people. This will be the next up on the baby sweaters for others list.

Anonymous said...

I was baffled by the underarm stitch cast on directions. A quick trip to google found your wonderful explaination and now I'm back to happily knitting. Thanks a lot for your help!