Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ok, here I go

I promised more later and it's definitely later now!!

We've had lots of time to play outside since the weather has been cooperating with us here west of Chicago. The humidity hasn't really hit, but I'm sure it's en route.

About my knitting...

The CPH is done, as you saw in my last post. It's a pretty good fit--enough that I'm happy with it, but as with all things, knitting has a learning curve. My gauge was off by quite a bit (the pattern called for 17 sts and 24 rows and my gauge was 19/24) so I adjusted by knitting a larger size. Unfortunately, if I ever want to button it closed I can't. Thankfully, I don't often button or zip anything, so no one will ever know. Except me. :-) I also adjusted the sleeves by knitting the largest size and extending the length because my arms are longer than the average woman and (almost) no store-bought sweater ever fits me right. So the real specs are:

Pattern: Central Park Hoodie as found in KnitScene Fall 2006 issue, 44" instructions (39" finished chest)
Needles: Size 7 KnitPicks Options circulars
Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers, color #9453 Amethyst Heather x 7.5 skeins
Started May 1, 2007 and Finished May 17, 2007.


As for the Shetland Triangle, the pattern is from the Wrap Style book.
Needles: Size 8 addi turbos
Yarn: Plymouth Galway Worsted, about 1.5 or less of color #30
Measurements: Pre Block= 33 x 17", Post Block 55 x 24"
I don't remember when I started or finished, exactly, but it took 3 days plus one for blocking.

I also finally found buttons for my 4th baby surprise jacket:


And I received a desperate phone call from my friend in Arizona... It went something like this:

Me: "Hello?"

Friend: "Hi. I have a HUGE favor to ask. I'll pay you. I'll buy the yarn. I'll do just about anything... We need more flower washcloths!! Would you mind making more for us? My daughter won't take a bath unless we use the flower washcloths."

I am flattered, to say the least. I do hate knitting the Reverse Bloom Flower Washcloth, but for this friend, I'd do just about anything. So off I went to Hobby Lobby and got some more of their Yarn Bee brand Dreamy Baby Chenille in the approved colors. :-) Hey, her daughter is 3. There are only certain things that are ok at that age, and anything different is unacceptable. I can deal with that. So anyway, I knit a couple flowers and a few squares. I'm hoping to sneak the squares under the radar so they're easier and faster to replace down the road.


And since this friend's birthday is Friday, I had ordered some really good stuff to make a really great pattern. I had hopes (no, really, I did!!) of getting the gift to her before her birthday or even overnighting it to her the day before, but I realize now it just can't happen. It will be done soon, though. I hope to be posting that FO soon, but for now I can't divulge any more details than I have already.

See you again soon. I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice that your friends wants you to knit even more flower washcloths!

Kelley said...

I love the flower washcloths -- I can see how they would make bathtime fun.

I have a similar problem with my CPH -- I'm thinking about putting a toggle on it instead of buttons, so the edges don't have to overlap and I can still close it.

(And for my BSJ - 2 balls of green to 1.5 of white -- thanks for reminding me how important those details are!)