Monday, April 2, 2007

I'm Back!

We were on vacation for a week so there was no posting and very little knitting done. Much beach time, though so it all worked out great!

The view from our condo:

And some knitted goodies:

This is the Tomten from Elizabeth Zimmermann and I LOVE it! I intentionally made it large in hopes it will fit next winter. It might be snug in the chest, but maybe not. I can hope, right? The only things left to do are block it and sew in a zipper. I've never done a zipper before and although I've seen many great looking tutorials online, I have no previous knowledge of sewing and think it best to seek professional help!! I'll be finding that at a LYS nearby. I can't wait, too because the zipper is a great matching yellow and it's gonna look GREAT!!

Specs: No clue on gauge. I just knit... I'm thinking probably around 4.5 - 4.75 spi on size 8 addi turbos using Paton's Classic Merino Wool in Dark Grey Mix, Natural Mix, and New Denim as well as Nature Spun in Impasse Yellow for the I-cord edging. I don't know how much I used total, but I will try to weigh the entire thing soon and guesstimate.

I also knitted this while on vacation:
It's not done yet because I can't find the right buttons. I found some awesome ones at the LYS, but I need 5 and they only had 3. I could almost cry. But there are others and I will find the right ones soon enough. I used Blackberry Ridge's Mer-Made merino wool in fingering weight on size 4 knitpicks options needles. Not sure of gauge, but it's probably 6-7 spi. It's definitely newborn size. I intended to make socks out of this, since that's what it's supposed to be for. As luck would have it, I was actually wearing a pair of socks I had made in the past using this exact yarn in a different color while we were on vacation and they basically shredded at the ball of my foot. I'm completely dissatisfied with their wear-ability and will never use this yarn for socks again. I think it's perfect for a little jacket that won't see lots of hard-wear time.

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uber-cute sweater and kid! I love the colors you used!

jillz said...

The tomnten is great! I love love the yellow icord around the edges. And the baby surprise is great too!

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

What a cute sweater! Love the colors!

tiennieknits said...

Great job on the sweaters! Your little guy looks so sweet in the cool stripey one.

Thanks also for the link to my site! Will do the same for yours.

picperfic said...

I love you EZ work, you are like me, I just have to knit her designs, they are so different ind interesting to make. I lobve the colours of both the tomten and the BSJ.

Rosi G. said...

That tomten is absolutely gorgeous!! I think I'm gonna have to look around in my stash and knit one up. I really love it. How old is your son? I have an 8-month-old. Your son is adorable and looks like he loves his jacket.

JenniferB said...

Hi! I'm visiting from zimmmermania. I love your Zimmerman knits! The tomten is gorgeous. Congratulations on fine work.

knitting elephant said...

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm happy to say that I'm VERY proud of this one, even if my finishing skills are somewhat lacking. :-) My son is 18 months and is a hearty/husky boy in my opinion. He weighs about 28 pounds and his chest is about the same size as his 3 year old sister at about 22"!!!

secret writer said...

Oh my goodness, look at that cute little thing! He seems very pleased with his handsome new tomten. Absolutely lovely!
P.S.
sewing in zippers makes me a little nervous too!

karenthecomputerwife said...

I love that tomten! The yellow edging is the perfect thing for the colors you picked. The BSJ looks really good too. These are both on my list of things I want to knit this year, and since my kids aren't getting any smaller, I need to get on it! Good job!

Knittiana! said...

I really like the Totem! The colors work very well together and it just looks very well executed. Cute model too... he seems to enjoy himself!

Sheri said...

Very cute Tomten and I love the colors.
Sheri in GA

Anonymous said...

I love the tomten! What a perfectly wonderful pattern. Thanks for sharing this, and I appreciate your stopping by my spot. Looks like we both love sweets! Beth

Leslie said...

Your tomten is one of the best I've seen. I love the colors and it's adorable on your little one! I'm just finishing my first BSJ (still need to seam and add buttons) but then I'd love to try one of these.

Leslie said...

Your sweater is one of the cutest I've seen. I love the color combo, and it's so cute on your little one. I'm just finishing up my first BSJ, but I'd like to try one of these soon!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors! It looks very professional