Thursday, April 19, 2007

BSJ #4

I finished the fourth baby surprise jacket this morning. That is, except for buttons. It's always the buttons. I might try to get to Joann or one of the LYS's to find the right buttons today, but it's more likely that won't happen until the weekend when I have a chance to leave the kiddos at home.

Here it is:

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop
Needles: Size 8 addi turbos
Gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch
Yarn: Jojoland Rhythm, color #M05, a bit more than 3 balls or ~375 yards


I'm not thrilled with the color variations in this yarn, but it's definitely a nice thick wool-y jacket for a little girl. I thought the colorway would produce more pink colors than it did, which is in large part why I bought the yarn from the Destash Blog. No biggie, though. I'm thinking since the chest measures ~21" when it's closed it'll probably fit a 12-15 month old, but maybe younger as well. I still haven't seen this jacket in action, even after knitting 4 of them!! :-) I have intentions of making one using larger needles and Lion Brand Wool Ease since I have so much in my stash. Based on figures I've seen online, I think this combination might fit my youngest son.

I also cast on last night for the dad-friend-sweater. This attempt will be using the same yarn as the first try, but instead of following a set pattern I'll be using the EPS system from Knitting Without Tears. I have about a quarter of a sleeve done so far. I haven't decided if I'll be doing a yoke sweater with a design or a raglan style with no design. Too many choices, ya know?! I'll be sure to post pics once it's done and received by the dad-friend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I really have to knit one of those one of these days!

Kelley said...

I really like this one! The colors work well together, and blend so smoothly. The pattern looks like it keeps everything symmetrical automatically. I think I read something about i-cord not working to hold stockinette in -- but it beats me if I remember where that was.

I do like the Knitpicks CotLin. I have found some flax fibers in the yarn, but I'm not sure if this is usual. I really haven't used much non-wool yarn, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was hesitant at first, but found that it works out well.

I can't wait to see what you have next!

Kara said...

I hopped over from the BSJ knitalong. I love the colors. I liked the dark blue purple one you did also. They are lovely!

knitting elephant said...

Thank you all!! :-)