Thursday, May 3, 2007

New beginnings

The dad-friend-sweater-project is kaput. Frogged. Rewound. She will never see the thing that was to be a beautiful EPS system yoke sweater with great little butterflies around the yoke. Ahh... that is the way of knitting, isn't it? I finally understand what other bloggers have written about. The resentment that sometimes grows within a project you thought at its onset would be a perfect (or at least great) item.

So I've moved on and have begun my Central Park Hoodie using Cascade 220 in color #9453. I thought this color was called Berry Heather, but now I'm thinking it's Amethyst Heather. Either way, I like the shade. It's a great purple color with flecks of pink and teal (and probably others I haven't identified yet) and it was CHEAP!! WEBS has had lots of their yarns on sale for unusually low prices. Unrefusable prices. I want to buy more but I'm trying not to...

So here's my progress shot on the CPH:


I think I made the body ribbing a bit shorter than the pattern calls for, but I don't really know. My gauge is way off, but I like the tigher stitches at my gauge, so I'm just following a larger size instruction and according to my math, I should end up with a good-fitting sweater.

I decided to knit the body in one piece, omitting the seaming stitches in my original cast on. I'll decide later how to do the sleeves. On the last one I knit, I did the sleeves flat and seamed them in, but I'm thinking this time I'll either knit them in the round up to the cap shaping or I'll pick up the stitches around the armhole opening and knit the sleeves down from there. I've never done the second option before, but it seems like a great way to do it. My decreases are much more invisible than my increases and my arms are longer than average, so this would (possibly) eliminate both of those issues entirely! My only concern is the cables looking odd because they're going the wrong way. Any input on this from my one reader?? :-)

I gotta run before the kids decorate the house in playdoh!! Bye for now.

3 comments:

JustMe said...

Hi, I just came over from the CPH knitalong (haven't posted there yet). My CPH yarn has a very similar color, so I'm curious how yours will turn out!
Do you know where to get the BSJ - pattern nowadays? The knitting workshop book is out of print, as I've noticed.
Eva

knitting elephant said...

Here is one I found local to me:
http://www.woolandcompany.net/detail.aspx?ID=6335

Libraries often have her book as do other online retailers. You'd be sure to find it at School House!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the frogging :(

I really, really want to like fair isle...but it's such a pain, you know? ;)