Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket & Booties

It took only 3 days to finish the Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern for the Baby Surprise Jacket and I loved it!!! I can't wait to make more of them... They just look so cool and the way they transform into a little almost seamless cardigan is so neat! I finished this several days ago but didn't buy the buttons until this past weekend, then I couldn't get a good picture, then I got lazy... I've decided to just post the not-completely-finished picture I do have, so here you go:



And a close-up of the buttons: (not yet sewn on in this photo)



I used Bernat Softee Baby in His Jeans Ombre for both patterns. The booties are called Stay On Booties from the Knitting for Baby book by Melanie Falick. All told, it took one entire ball of this yarn, but I did have to dip into a second because I'm paranoid. If you were a better gauge of seaming needs and could knit booties better than I, you'd probably get away with one ball and have inches to spare. (~333 yards)

Used size 5 Knit Picks Options needles with a 24" cable. I like these needles pretty well. They're easy to work with, though for some reason I've had a lot of trouble with the needles unscrewing. I'd much prefer Addis, but they cost about a zillion dollars for all the different lengths, so the KP's will do just fine until I'm rich.

Keep your eyes peeled for the duck toy to coordinate (and complete) the little gift pack. Lots and Lots and Lots of seaming involved, so maybe another day or two. He sure is cute, though.

0 comments: